Friday, April 19, 2024

 

The blog has lacked my attention for the past 4 weeks because we have been birding from daylight to dark during this time.  Since my first and only post on this blog we have accomplished the following over the last 27 days —birded in 15 Texas counties, completed the 100 species required for the Century Club in 8, recorded over 75 species in an additional 7, posted 160 eBird checklist, reported 182 species and driven over 3000 miles.  So, as you can see we have not been idle.  It has been a fun and interesting experience. 

Our last stop in Texas was in Harrison County at Caddo Lake State Park.  However, getting there was quite an adventure.  Before beginning our journey to the park we camped at Liberty Hill campground near Dawson, Texas.  This location is in Navarro County.  On the morning of April 15, we headed out toward Caddo.  As we reached Corsicana, Deb noticed a scraping sound coming from our trailer.  I was unable to hear anything, so I dismissed it as just noise.  As we approached the intersection with Highway 31 the vehicle behind me was flashing his lights.  At the stoplight, I got out an as I reached the back of the trailer, I was confronted with the fact that rear frame holding the black water tank had broken loose and that part of the frame was dragging on the pavement.  I stood there wondering how I could contend with this emergency.  After some thought I opened the kitchen holding tank and let it drain on to the pavement.  Then I retrieved the floor jack I carry in my toolbox and was able to lift the frame back up to its proper height.  I then tied the bumper and frame to the ladder on the back of the trailer and secured it enough to travel. In the meantime, Deb had been in contact with two local RV shops, one said we would have to take it to Fort Worth and maybe a week to get it in the shop.  That was a no!  The other said they would look at it and see what could be done if anything, if we brought it in.  The problem was they were in Rice, Texas 17 miles away.  I wasn’t sure we could make it that far but fortunately we were able to limp up IH 45 to their location.   I want to state right now how wonderful Rendel RV in Rice, Texas is.  Within minutes they determined that they could realign the frame and use bolts to replace the rivets that had failed.  In a foot note here I want to go on record that the contractor who did the work on Highway 31 from Dawson to Corsicana should never be given another contract.  That road was the worst highway I have ever travelled.  I have experienced frost heaves on the Alaska Highway and they were nothing compared to this highway.  I’m sure it was what caused the last remaining rivet that held the frame up to give way.  At any rate Dan, the service manager and Steve the shop repairman did an outstanding job and got us back on the road in 4 hours.  They moved us to the front of the line and began working on it immediately. As a result of our unfortunate event, we found a fantastic restaurant in Ennis, Texas which we highly recommend—Bluebonnet Café.  The pastries as well as the lunch were fantastic.  So, in the end all turned out ok, we were on the road by 4 that afternoon and arrived at the park about 7:30, tired but safe and ready for the next adventure.

Today are in Little Rock, Arkansas at Maumelle Campground and Deb got to complete here 13th Presidential Library when we went to the Clinton Library.  This was the last one to visit and a goal she had set out to accomplish years ago.  The weather here turned cool overnigh, in the 50s, and tomorrow we are headed toward Memphis as we continue our trip toward Ohio and the Biggest Birding Week in America Festival. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment